Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Process of Searching…

I’ve been reading about Muslim converts and I felt touched. I mean the journey that they have gone through, the thinking process, the doubts and questions that they have, brought them to know and understand Islam deeper and deeper. And according to their stories, all of them stated that they submitted to Islam after reading, researching and understanding the Quran. And these converts, most of them are more “Muslim” than those who are born “Muslim”. Why?

So I thought for a while, about myself. I am born a Muslim, grew up in a Muslim family. And Alhamdulillah…my parents taught and brought me up well.

But when I think back, I took the Muslim title for granted, meaning that compared to these people who converted or as they say reverted (reverted back to the true religion-Islam), they went through this searching process. As I read, some of them were born in a very religious Christian and even Jewish family. So they perform their religious routine and somehow realize that there is something wrong. Too many errors and blunders that don’t make any sense and not logical.

Let’s take Prophet Ibrahim’s searching process as an example. I think most of you already knew the story about Prophet Ibrahim and his father and people that worshipped idols. He was asked by his father to worship idols. But then he questioned back, why must he worship the idols that were made by their own hands?

When he asked his father and his people: What is that which you worship?
They answered: We worship idols, and (out of veneration for them) we remain fervently ever devoted to them
Prophet Ibrahim asked: Do these idols hear you when you call on them?
Do they benefit you or do you harm?
They replied: No, (they could not do any!) But we found our fathers doing that.?
Prophet Ibrahim said: Have you ever considered of what use it is that you have been worshipping?
(I ask you this) because these idols are enemies to me; (I do not worship) other than Allah, Lord of all the Worlds;

(Asy-Syua’raa’ 70-77)


Actually it is just as simple as something logical to our mind. It is not logical to worship idols that doesn't hear, speak, do not bring them benefit. And as they said, they only worshipped idols because they see their fathers doing the same thing.

That is why when Prophet Ibrahim searched for God, he observed , thought and used his mind.

And when the night overshadowed him with its darkness, he saw a (shining) star, and said: Is this my Lord? But when it set, he said: I do not love things that set.

And when he saw the rising moon (shining), he said: ?Is this my Lord? But when it set, he said: If my Lord does not guide me, I will most certainly become one of the people who go astray.?

And when he saw the sun rising (in shining splendour), he said: Is this my Lord? It is larger.But when it set, he said: O my people, far be it from me to ascribe divinity, as you do, to anything other than God.

Truly, I have set my face and my person to Allah Who has created the heavens and the earth, upright as a true believer, holding firmly on the principle of Oneness of God, and I am not one of those who ascribe divinity to anything besides God.

(Al An’aam, 76-79)


So from questioning, thinking and searching, he found the answer. He found God and believe in God…

As a conclusion, I think this process of searching is very important, to become closer to Allah, strengthen our belief and know what is our reason and role as a Muslim in this world...

2 comments:

  1. demm.. is dis is the real sarah i knew?








    (insaf mood)

    ReplyDelete
  2. huhu...just sharing my opinion and ilmu yg x seberapa..moga seme dpt manfaat :D

    ReplyDelete